Tempt Your Tummy.               Things I Think About.               Project Time.              

24 April 2013

I Made Bagels.....And So Can You.

I am giddy about this! 

I found a recipe for bagels in the bread machine at Blissful and Domestic.  I've looked into making my own bagels, but never have because, well, it seemed like a lot of work.  That is not my idea of a good recipe. 

This recipe doesn't require mixing, punching or boiling to get a great tasting bagel.  It mostly involves using your trusty (and probably dusty from lack of use) bread machine. 

Here's what you'll need:

1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 TB dark brown sugar
4 cups white flour
2 1/4 tsp dry yeast

Step one is to put the ingredients in the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacture.  I, of course, have no idea what order that would be.  I don't have a manual.  I just added them in the order listed.  I also used regular brown sugar because it's what I had on hand.  Once it's all in there, turn the machine to the dough setting and go do something else for about an hour and a half.

Once the dough is mixed, let it sit in the machine for an additional 5 minutes, then remove to a flour covered surface.  Roll the dough into a 12 inch log and cut into 12 - one inch pieces. 
 
 Then take each one inch section and roll into about an 8 inch log.

 
Connect the ends and pinch them together.
 
 
Continue with the remaining dough and place on a cornmeal covered cookie sheet.
 
 
Let rise for 30 minutes
 
 
Look at that puffy goodness!
Next comes an egg wash.  Brush the bottoms and tops with egg white and allow to dry a little.  I placed mine over a cooling rack.
 
 
Then, add any toppings.  I added onion powder and poppy seeds to five and left the rest plain.
 
 
Bake at 375 for 15 minutes, then turn over and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
 
 
Look at that golden deliciousness!
 
 
 
We had them as a snack today with cream cheese and tomato and again for dinner with fresh eggs and a fruit salad. 
 
I know it's a several steps, but it's really mostly waiting. 
 
This definitely goes on my "to make again" list!

2 comments:

Maria said...

Looks YUMMY!!!! :) I say they should be at our next Blog Buddies meeting.... ;)

Charli said...

Good idea Maria!