Tempt Your Tummy.               Things I Think About.               Project Time.              

13 May 2011

To Chore or Not to Chore?

Did you have chores growing up?  I didn't have specific chores, but there were things I was expected to do.  Funny story - I lived with my Grandma when I was younger and usually was expected to run the sweeper.  Remember, this was the late 70's & 80's and shag/plush carpet was the thing.  We even had carpet in our kitchen and bathroom.  Fast forward to my first place in college.  My roommates and I were cleaning our house and after running the sweeper, I got down on my hands and knees to "wipe" the sweeper lines off, as I had done my whole life.  They looked at me like I had lobsters crawling out of my ears!  I assumed that was what everyone did. 
Back to chores.  Do your kids have chores?  Do you pay them?  I have started chores and chore charts before, but always end up giving up.  It was always more work to nag them than to just do it myself.  That was then.  Thanks to the conversations at our home school co-op, I now have a working plan that is actually going well.  Everyone has age appropriate chores, that when done - cheerfully- earn them money that they can spend on whatever they want.  But, if it's not done, or not done cheerfully, not only do they not earn their allowance on that item, they get that amount deducted from the week.  Talk about motivation!  I have to give credit to my friend Erica for this great system.

Here's a rundown of our daily chores:
Everyone is expected to make their beds, brush their teeth, get dressed & put away their laundry. 
Josh also unloads the dishwasher, feeds the rabbit, wipes the bathroom sink and runs the sweeper daily in the living room.
John puts away the silverware, feeds the dog, sweeps the steps and stocks the TP when needed.
Josiah is in charge of gathering up any dishes or sippy cups and wipes the table after breakfast & lunch. 
Each of these earn $0.05 per chore.  I know, it's not much, but it does add up quickly when done daily.  Extra chores for $0.25 can be done if they want to earn more money, but it's optional. 
So far, this system is working well for us.  And I am still lenient on the cheerful attitude part while we're learning.  I've only made 3 deductions in the past 2 months.  Not bad at all!  Just think...at this rate, I might actually end up with a clean house!

Have a great day!
Charli

Sorry this post went up so late, Blogger was having issues.  Also, if you recognized the phrase "looked at me like I had lobsters crawling out of my ears" - we obviously share a love for one of the best Christmas movies ever!

No comments: