Tempt Your Tummy.               Things I Think About.               Project Time.              

13 October 2011

Homemade English Muffins....What?!

That's right.  My friend Tracey and I made homemade English Muffins.  With all those wonderful nooks and crannies....ummmm....so good.

I've always been intimidated by anything yeast based.  And while I've conquered my fear of homemade pizza dough, I haven't ventured any further. 

When I found this recipe on Pinterest with the price listed at only $0.08 per muffin or $0.68 for eight muffins, I decided it was worth a try.

I followed the recipe exactly as written.  It takes two rises, then you cut out your muffins and let them rise again.  We used a wide mouth mason jar to cut them out. 

Here's where it gets a little weird.  Once the muffins have risen, you fry/bake them in a skillet sprayed heavily with cooking spray.  Use very low heat. 

You want a nice crispy outside with a soft inside.  We used very low heat and "baked" them in the skillet for exactly 7 minutes on each side.  The trickiest part was gently sliding them into the pan without them deflating.
 You want them to cook slowly so the insides are completely done. 
Crispy golden outside.
Gorgeous nooks and crannies inside.

Oh my.  Soo good.  I couldn't wait for the picture to take a little bite.

We actually got 13 muffins from the recipe which changes the price per muffin to $0.05 each. 

This was a surprisingly simple recipe to make.  It mostly involves a long wait time because you have to let the dough rise about 45 minutes to an hour for each rise.  I shortened our rise time a little by covering my bowl and putting it in the laundry room while the dryer was running. 

I will definitely do this again, but next time I'm going to double my recipe and use my two burner griddle to make them.  It would have been much quicker than only doing four at a time. 

I made English Muffins!  I am a genius!

2 comments:

anita v. said...

Way to go Charli, sounds yummy ( looks yummy to)

Teresa said...

YUM! I am definitely going to try this!! We eat ALOT of english muffins in this house :) Great Job!