Tempt Your Tummy.               Things I Think About.               Project Time.              

18 May 2012

My other little boy...

This is Gerson.  He has been a part of our family for over three years now thanks to Compassion International. 

Here's the information from Compassion about Gerson:

Your sponsored child lives in the hillside community of Col. Jose Angel Ulloa, home to approximately 8,400 residents. Typical houses are constructed of dirt floors, wood walls and tin roofs. The spoken language is Spanish.

The regional diet consists of maize, beans, chicken, rice and spaghetti. Common health problems in this area include malnutrition, parasites, dental problems and respiratory illnesses. Most adults work as day laborers and earn the equivalent of $250 per month. This community needs water, garbage collection, schools, vocational training centers and employment opportunities.

Your sponsorship allows the staff of CDI Crecimiento Integral to provide your sponsored child with Bible teaching, hygiene and health education, medical checkups, group games, birthday celebrations, cultural activities, field trips, academic support, school supplies, uniforms and shoes. The center staff will also provide evangelism, family recreational activities and parents' school for the parents or guardians of your sponsored child.

What the website doesn't tell you is what you get from sponsorship.  I love getting letters from Gerson in the mail.  He always sends me a picture he drew and asks questions about our family.  And he loves getting photos of us!   One of my favorite letters I have received was actually from Gerson's mother, thanking us for our support.  Here is this woman, that I don't even know, thanking me for the difference I make in not only her son's life, but in their family.  It's a humbling thought.  That's just for $38.  I used to spend that much on my coffee when I worked full time. 

If your interested in changing a child like Gerson's world by becoming a sponsor, leave me a message.  My friend Selena has several packets left over from Compassion Sunday.  Or you can log onto compassion.com for more information or to choose a child of your own. 

No comments: