Tempt Your Tummy.               Things I Think About.               Project Time.              

12 October 2012

The post where I spill my cake secrets.

I've been wanting to tell you about this for some time, but I kept being kind of selfish.  I wasn't sure I wanted everyone I know to make cakes that taste as good as mine do.

I guess I'm over it now.

Here are the three secrets to making a box cake taste like a homemade cake.  It's slightly life changing information.

1.  Always use an extra egg.  It make the cake more dense like a homemade cake.

2.  Always bake at 325, not 350.  Check your cake after 20 minutes.  It will take a little longer, but it will also be incredibly moist and will rise nicely.

3.  My cake home run.  Never use just water as your liquid.  I use milk instead of water.  I usually use 1/3 of my liquid as flavored liquid creamer and the remaining 2/3 as milk.  For example, if the recipe calls for a cup of water, I would use 1/3 cup flavored creamer and 2/3 cup milk.  I've also found that my coconut creamer makes chocolate cakes taste incredible without a coconut flavor.  I like to use a caramel with yellow cakes and for a spice or carrot cake I eliminate the milk all together and replace it with orange juice.  So moist and flavorful.

So there you have it.  My big cake secrets. 

Now go forth and make delicious cakes!

1 comment:

Donna said...

Very nice! I was looking to make this cake last year, but we were gluten free :(

This year though, I'm thinking of doing this as a pumpkin spice cake.

These are great tips! I use some of the same modifications. I ALWAYS use Duncan Hines boxes, and sometimes I add some Jell-O pudding mixes, depending on the cake. This will also help to moistening up the cake with some homemade flavor. (banana cake is my favorite like this).