Tempt Your Tummy.               Things I Think About.               Project Time.              

28 November 2012

An honest to goodness actual good venison recipe.

Venison.  It's what's for dinner.  Especially after hunting season.

I am not the biggest fan of venison.  I eat because well, Ronnie kills it.  I've tried many, many recipes for venison and this one by far is my favorite.

Venison Hoagie.

1 pound thinly sliced venison
1/2 sliced onion.
1 loaf of Italian or French bread
1/2 stick of softened butter + 1-2 Tbsp.
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 cup (more or less) shredded mozzarella cheese.



Saute onions in about a tablespoon of butter, then add the venison. 


Season with salt & pepper to taste. 


While meat browns, combine butter & garlic.  Cut bread in half lengthwise and spread with butter on both sides.


Top bread with meat & onion mixture.  Add desired amount of cheese.

Wrap in foil and bake for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees or until cheese melts.


There you have it!  Easy and delish.  I usually serve it with oven fries and fruit.

I'd love to hear your favorite venison recipe.  Especially since I have a ton of it once again.  Comment below and share it with me.  Thanks!

5 comments:

Rachel E. said...

Looks yummy!

Marsha said...

Ahhh, venison. I grew up eating it. My favorite way to cook it is to make stew out of it. It can simmer and tenderize that way.

Charli said...

Stew is a good way to use it too. We've been canning our deer the last two years. I like it better. It's not as gamey and it's really tender.

Jennifer said...

I love steak sandwiches, but I have never been able to make a good one at home. I saw this recipe and realized the step I was missing was the baking it together. I've tried toasting the buns, but it just didn't taste like ones I get in the store. Also adding salt, pepper, garlic and butter really helped with the flavor. Since I unfortunately don't have a hunter in my home, I didn't have any deer meat, My dad was a hunter, so i grew up eating deer meat & love it. But I just made your recipe with steak umms. It was so good! Except I didn't have hard Italian bread, just soft kaiser buns and they sort of feel apart while we were eating them, but they still tasted wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Charli said...

Glad to hear you liked it. We like the big bread because it holds up better. Sometimes I'll bake it with a second cookie sheet on top and a cast iron skilled on top of the cookies sheet to squash it down some.