Tempt Your Tummy.               Things I Think About.               Project Time.              

19 December 2012

My Nan's Spinach Casserole.

Now just wait a minute!  Don't turn up your nose at this until you hear me out.

I hated most vegetables growing up, but oh how I loved this rich and creamy spinach. 

My Nan would make this for special occasions, Christmas being one of them.  I had actually lost the recipe for several years and my Mom found it last week.  I took it to our covered dish dinner at work yesterday and they loved it too. 

Here's what you'll need:

16oz cottage cheese
6 eggs
1/2 c. flour
1/4 c. sour cream
2 packages of frozen spinach, thawed and well drained. (I use 3)
4 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, divided into 2 cups each.
1 package of croutons.

Mix together the cottage cheese, eggs, flour and sour cream.  Add in the spinach and 2 cups of cheese.  I actually squeeze my spinach with a paper towel to make sure it's very dry.
Pour into a 13x9 greased pan. 
Top remaining cheese then croutons. 

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. 

I usually save a little back from the second 2 cups of cheese to put on top of the croutons when the casserole is done, then pop it back in the over for about 5 minutes until it melts. 



So very good.

2 comments:

Rachel E. said...

When we were in Poland, we bought frozen spinach with cream in it. It was really good. Of course it wasn't liked by everyone, but it was pretty good. I wonder if the kids would like this one. Thanks for sharing. I am always on the lookout for a new way to fix a veggie the kids will eat. I offer, but they just don't like it.

Charli said...

My boys eat it....but I call it vegetable casserole, not spinach. No need for the extra drama.