Tempt Your Tummy.               Things I Think About.               Project Time.              

20 March 2013

Once a Month Shopping: My second trip.

I mentioned in a post last week that I saved both money and time last month by shopping once a month.  I stuck to the same plan for this month.  I did a menu plan for the month - including breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks as well as anything we would need for Easter dinner.  Then I clicked and pulled a large part of the order from Sam's Club.  After that, I made my lists by store and the next morning, the boys and I went shopping. 

Here's what I picked up:

Sam's Club
  • Brownie mix x 3 (I forgot I clicked & pulled and picked up one in store)
  • Cheeses: Colby Jack and Dubliner
  • Paper plates and aluminum foil
  • Garlic & Herb seasoning (which is great!)
  • Veggies: Lettuce, Romaine, tomatoes, mushrooms.
  • 6 gallons of milk, sour cream and Gogurt.
  • 4 grape juice
  • 6 loaves of bread, 2 12 packs of hamburger buns
  • 2 Jiff peanut butter
  • Frozen biscuits and Mrs. T Peirogies
  • Fruit: 3 bags apples, 3 bunches bananas, oranges, 4 strawberries
  • Wipes for Ronnie's glasses.
  • 4 gallons of Apple Cider vinegar (for the cows and chickens)
  • One gallon of liquid dish detergent
  • And I stocked up my medicine cabinet: Cetrizine (1 tablet, 2 liquid) for the boys, 2 giant Excedrin migraine, and a bottle of diphenhydramine (generic Benadryl).
Total spent at Sams: $276.43

Then we went to Aldi's:
  • Soups x 4 and French onion soup mix.
  • Hot sauce, Dijon mustard x 2 and mayo.
  • Flour tortillas x 4, corn tortillas x 1.
  • Tortilla chips x 2 and fresh salsa
  • Junk cereal for boys for good behavior - x 3.
  • Spiral ham (only $1.49 per pound)
  • Aldi brand Rotel x 3, 2 packs of dried fruit (for homemade granola).
  • Oil, Parmesan cheese, Aldi's Ritz crackers, peanut butter and cool whip.
  • Pepperoni, oatmeal x 2, and frozen sweet & sour chicken skillet meal.
  • One bouquet of flowers (for Nan)
Total Spent at Aldi's:  $71.14

At Walmart, we picked up:
  • More grapes, green onions, more tomatoes, red onion, cucumbers and cilantro.
  • Coconut creamer, salsa, black beans x 2, pinto beans x 1.
  • Peeps x 3, cupcake liners, Reeses cup eggs
  • Horseradish, enchilada sauce x 4
  • Q tips and a gift bag.
Total spent: $46.73

I also placed an order with HISfood that I'll pick up next weekend. 
  • One case of chicken breast (15 pounds for $33)
  • One case of chicken nuggets (16 pounds for $28)
Total spent: $65

My total spent for the month is $459.30

On Friday, I'll tell you how I store all this food for the month and some tips I use to save money buying meat. 

Once a month shopping rocks!

3 comments:

Maria said...

Sounds like you are doing well with this! I really am impressed with how Sams does the click and pick up thing. Hopefully Walmart will pick up that service!!! I'm excited to hear your 'saving money on meat' tips. Have a good day!!

Marsha said...

Wow! I'm impressed. I wish we had a Sam's closer to us.

Anonymous said...

So glad the once a month shopping is working out for you...keep up the good work!

Coleen
Oh yeah, Happy Spring!