Tempt Your Tummy.               Things I Think About.               Project Time.              

19 May 2011

Updates on the week.

Well, our bee adventure has begun.  Ronnie is officially on his way to Ripley to pick up his bees.  When I asked him to make sure his Dad got a picture of he & Zelda getting the bees. he asked "Why? Because you've never met anyone named Zelda?".  Um, No.  Because she is Zelda the bee lady and I want to see her. 


So now it's 4:30am and I can't sleep.  I thought I would let you know what I think of the freezer cooking.  I have to say, it's been great.  It was well worth the initial effort.   I really believe it's the reason we haven't been eating out.  There is always something in the freezer ready to go.  I've had no issues with freezer burn - everything has stayed well wrapped in there. 
Here what I will do differently the next time:
  • Label better - If I had more meals, I think I would have forgotten what was what in the freezer.  I'm going to try a fat sharpie the next time.
  • Use real baking dishes instead of disposable.  I'm going to look for cheap baking dishes at yard sales this summer for freezer cooking.
  • Change how I make the garlic bread.  The recipe is great, but when it's cooked it's a little soggy.  Next time I'm going to pop it under the broiler after it's baked to crisp it up a little.  
  • Make more french toast.  This was a morning lifesaver and probably Ronnie & the boys favorite thing.  I liked that I just had to throw it in the oven for 20 minutes from frozen and it was ready to go.  
  • I'm also going to look in the Bulletin Board and check store sales for a small freezer.  My big upright is still very full with the cow & deer.  Don't get me wrong, we are making a big dent in it, but we also have another cow in the field right now and I'm hoping to have a pig butchered this year.  I'd like to have a small chest freezer dedicated to my month of meals and extras like milk & bread.
I know without a doubt, I've saved at least $100 this month with freezer cooking, just from not eating out as much.  I also haven't gone to the store as often, which has to be a savings.  Let's face it, no matter how disciplined you are, it's really hard not to pick up a little something extra at the store.  Another thing that I really like is that I have less to clean up, because I did that when I was making the meals.  For the most part, it's just a baking dish, grill pan or cookie sheet and the table settings.

Conclusion:  I like freezer cooking and will definitely do it again.

Check back later for an update on Ronnie's bee adventures!

Charli

No comments: