So now it's 4:30am and I can't sleep. I thought I would let you know what I think of the freezer cooking. I have to say, it's been great. It was well worth the initial effort. I really believe it's the reason we haven't been eating out. There is always something in the freezer ready to go. I've had no issues with freezer burn - everything has stayed well wrapped in there.
Here what I will do differently the next time:
- Label better - If I had more meals, I think I would have forgotten what was what in the freezer. I'm going to try a fat sharpie the next time.
- Use real baking dishes instead of disposable. I'm going to look for cheap baking dishes at yard sales this summer for freezer cooking.
- Change how I make the garlic bread. The recipe is great, but when it's cooked it's a little soggy. Next time I'm going to pop it under the broiler after it's baked to crisp it up a little.
- Make more french toast. This was a morning lifesaver and probably Ronnie & the boys favorite thing. I liked that I just had to throw it in the oven for 20 minutes from frozen and it was ready to go.
- I'm also going to look in the Bulletin Board and check store sales for a small freezer. My big upright is still very full with the cow & deer. Don't get me wrong, we are making a big dent in it, but we also have another cow in the field right now and I'm hoping to have a pig butchered this year. I'd like to have a small chest freezer dedicated to my month of meals and extras like milk & bread.
Conclusion: I like freezer cooking and will definitely do it again.
Check back later for an update on Ronnie's bee adventures!