Tempt Your Tummy.               Things I Think About.               Project Time.              

01 July 2011

My garden experiment

This rain was making me crazy this spring.  Ronnie couldn't get a good day to put the electric fence up, which meant I couldn't get the plants in. And I had to get the plants in before we left for the beach.  Had to.
.
We learned years ago that the deer were in the woods lurking, just waiting for me to plant their delicious feast. 

Solution:  I used the giant flower boxes on my front porch this year.  Why should I go to the expense of buying flowers when I have all these beautiful vegetables just waiting for some good dirt?  I chose to plant my lettuce because it doesn't root to deeply and it should be convenient to get a salad from the front porch.

Here's how it turned out:


As of now, I have mixed feelings.  The left side grows better than the right side.  I  think my lettuce would be larger if it were in the garden instead.  It is also taking a ton of water to keep the dirt moist - much more than when I had flowers in it.   Lastly, I miss my pretty flowers.  They really added some nice color to the front.

Not all of my schemes work out. 

Next year, I'll stick with flowers.

No comments: