Tempt Your Tummy.               Things I Think About.               Project Time.              

24 January 2012

Book review: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.


On the recommendation of many people - co-workers, my bff Vicki, even the wonderful librarian at our Bookmobile - I finally read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. 

Oh. My. Goodness. 

First things first.  This was a graphic book.  I skipped over quite a few disturbing parts in this book. 

The premise is the present day solving of an event that took place over forty years ago.  The first few chapters were a lot of back story, including a diagram of a family tree, which I thought was odd.  Turns out I needed to reference that tree a few times to figure out who was who. 

Once the story takes off, it really does get your attention.  I did not see it ending anything like it did.  I actually read until the wee hours of the morning on this one. 

While I did mostly enjoy the story line of this book, the majority of the characters are  morally bankrupt and frankly, the whole story - present and past - creeped me out.  It reminded me of the TV show Criminal Minds - which also creeped me out and I quit watching.  I have enough nonsense taking up space in my head without adding disturbing images. 

So while I really appreciate that fact that Mr. Larsson was able to take me by surprise with this story, I don't plan on reading the rest of the trilogy.  I'll just make Vicki tell me what happens to Lisbeth, who was really the most interesting character by far.

As always, this is just my opinion.  By all means, feel free to have your own.

1 comment:

Selena said...

Good to know. I've seen that in my recommendations on amazon, and I've been tempted to read it. Now I'll pass on it. Like you said, I've got enough stuff to keep straight in my brain, I don't need unnecessary thoughts crowding around in there. Thanks for reviewing it.