Tempt Your Tummy.               Things I Think About.               Project Time.              

25 May 2012

Book Review: Tell Your Time.

If you've been reading this blog for any time, you know I'm always on the lookout for a better way to run my day.  I mean, who doesn't want things to run more smoothly, right?

I actually read this book last night.  That's right, the whole book.  It's only about 46 pages.  It was short, sweet and to the point.  It was also chocked full of information that made me stop and think.




Amy Lynn Andrews breaks down not only how to look at your time to see what you can do but helps you evaluate how you are spending your time.

You know I have big love for my envelope system.  It has helped me get control of our spending, pay off our bills, and even have cash available for life's emergencies. 

In this book, I was challenged to think of my time the same way I think about my cash envelopes.  Each hour is an envelope and we all only have 24 envelopes in each day.   Just as I evaluate spending the cash in my envelope, I should evaluate spending my time "envelope". 

She has great resources online to help you figure out what your priorities are and what you actually have time to do.  I'm sure this is no surprise to anyone, but I have been spending too much time online.  This is something I know that I struggle with.  My plan is to allot time for my blog and social media, set a timer to keep me mindful of it, and get back into more of a balance.  I'm also going back to work at FGH one day a week and starting a job doing some work from home.  To say I've been stressed out trying to figure out how I can fit it all in is an understatement.  This book really did help me to break it down into little steps and plot it out so that I can see that it will work. 

On the flip side, I can see where this system could seem restrictive.  I mean, planning your day in increments - where's the spontaneity, right?  I just have to remember this is a tool.  Just like my money envelopes.  It was a good thing I was determined when I switched to the money envelopes.  It was a big switch.  But the benefits have been so worth it.  I'm hoping this system has the same effect.  I know my days will be more structured, but if I can add to our income from home, that's less time Ronnie has to spend outside the home.  And to me, that is very worth it. 

I enjoyed this book.  It's currently $2.99 at Amazon and well worth the price in my opinion. 

If you're interested, you can click the link above to buy it (and simultaneously support my Amazon addiction....but that's another post.)

No comments: