Tempt Your Tummy.               Things I Think About.               Project Time.              

25 July 2012

Our First Grade Cirruculum

This is a great example of the positives of homeschooling. 

Techinally, John is in first grade this year.  Last fall when we began Kindergarten, it was very clear that I was in for a challenge.  He zipped right through Science and Math.  He loved listening to our History stories.  He had a great time with this friends on Friday's at co-op. 

Reading and writing were a whole other ballgame.

It was daily fight that ended with him in tears and me just about there too.  I didn't know what to do, so I called Rhonda, who does our portfolio review and is just a wonderful resource for homeschoolers.  Her advice shocked me.  She told me to just stop.  Umm....what?!   This is school.  You can't just stop school.  Can you?

Well, that's exactly what I did.  We quit doing Reading and Writing.  He just wasn't developmentally ready for these subjects yet.  Turns out, Rhonda was absolutely right.  John, on his own accord, started wanting to learn how to read.   This Spring, he actually came to me and asked if I would teach him to read. 

So, while he's starting First grade, his English is more Kindergarten and a half.  I'm not worried about it.  He's advancing by leaps and bounds with reading and he's actually coming along with his writing as well. 

Having said all that, here's John's First grade curriculum:

Horizons Math 1:



Language Lessons for Little Ones



The Reading Lesson



Explode the Code



Super Star Speech




Exploring Creation Zoology 1:  Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day




Road Trip USA




Cooking 101 for Kids



Greatest Artist Unit Study


and finally,

Stickfiguring thru the Bible 





I can already tell you that his favorite class will be Cooking 101.  That boy loves making things in the kitchen.  And knives. 

I'm pretty sure it will be a hit.



3 comments:

Lori said...

Oh I am so glad that JR isn't the only one that's not catching on to reading as quickly. He will only attempt it if it's a book about something that grabs his attention. I really think his teacher scarred him last year, but hopefully with some encouragement from me and a better teacher this year we can catch him up.

Stefanie said...

Lots of our favorites on your list. Love stick figuring through the bible. So fun!

Sarah said...

What a great list you have for the upcoming year!

If you are interested in connecting with other Apologia users, please check out the Apologia link up that I host on my blog here:

http://myjoy-filledlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/apologia-blog-role-2012-2013.html

Blessings! Hope you have a great school year!