Tempt Your Tummy.               Things I Think About.               Project Time.              

11 September 2013

Tomatoes Everywhere!

As usual, I went overboard on tomatoes this year.  It really shouldn't surprise me.  I tend to go overboard on tomatoes every year.  I tell myself that I only need four plants.  Then I get to the nursery and can't resist the sweet cherry tomatoes and of course I need the Roma's for bruschetta.  Then I have to have a yellow tomato (or two or three) because they are so good.

Here's the thing.  While I like to can, I despise canning tomatoes!  It's so much work.  And if you decide to make sauce, it takes a ton of tomatoes to make such a little amount - it's really frustrating to me.  The only thing I can with tomatoes is tomato juice.  It's quick and easy and it makes your winter soups taste so rich. 

So what do I do with all my tomatoes? 

We give them away and we eat them.  A lot!

Here's one of my favorite recipes (courtesy of my friend Molly from work)

6 ripe tomatoes
3-4 green onions
2 peppers (green, red, hot - whatever you like)
1 can of shoe peg corn, drained
1 can of black beans, drained
1 bottle of Italian dressing

Chop up all your veggies into chunks and place into a bowl.  Add in drained corn and drained black beans.  Top with Italian dressing and chill.  If you have it, toss in some cilantro to garnish.  Serve with chips.



I like this because I can change and add whatever I want.  I usually grab what I need from the garden - changing the recipe to what's ripe and needs used up.  I've used all kinds of tomatoes, peppers - I've even grabbed an ear of corn right off the stalk to cut up into it.  I also make my Italian dressing with a mix, using balsamic vinegar.  It just gives it a great taste.   Don't limit it to just being served with chips.  I've used it to top grilled chicken and fish both as well as on top of tacos and it's delish. 

You can leave out the black beans and corn and use it as a cheater bruschetta over garlic bread as well.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.....

Make this while you still have tomatoes.  Trust me.  It's great.

1 comment:

Maria said...

i planted a bunch of tomato plants. One survived. And then, on it I have five, small, greenish tomatoes. It's sad really. I will stick to my talents of organization and leave the gardening to my gardening friends, like you! ;)