Tempt Your Tummy.               Things I Think About.               Project Time.              

11 October 2014

Letting my hillbilly show: Squirrel gravy and biscuits.

 
Me personally?  I'm not the biggest fan of squirrel.  But when these guys ask me to fix their squirrels?  Well, how do I say no to these sweet little faces.  
 
 
 
 
So here's my Nan's way to make squirrel gravy over biscuits.
 


Soak cleaned and cut squirrel in buttermilk (or milk) for a few hours. 
 


Mix up some flour with a little salt and pepper to make your breading.
 


 
Bread squirrel in flour mixture and fry in bacon grease or butter until browned.
 
 

Remove cooked squirrel from pan, leaving drippings.  Add a couple of tablespoons of flour to drippings and cook until just a touch brown, stirring constantly.

Add in milk, continuing to stir until smooth and creamy. 

Serve over hot biscuits topped with meat and covered with gravy.

Enjoy Hillbilly friends!

2 comments:

The Kitchen Wife said...

Oh man, I haven't has squirrel since I was VERY VERY young! I have some pretty good pictures and stories from hunting with my grandpa. Love this post! :)

The Kitchen Wife said...

Oh man, I haven't has squirrel since I was VERY VERY young! I have some pretty good pictures and stories from hunting with my grandpa. Love this post! :)